1. Conversations in Speech Pathology (CSP) is a podcast about issues related to the clinical practice of speech pathology. My mission is for the show to be: Interesting, Respectful to all parties, & Fun!
2. Per #1, my interests are primarily Autism, AAC, and Speech Sound Disorders (SSD). But…I will continue to cover other areas as well!
3. This show does not endorse or promote specific therapy techniques, products, or providers. Consumer beware!
Thanks for listening!
Working FAQ (Updated Summer 2018)
- Why don’t you put more episodes out on a regular basis? My podcast is a part-time passion of mine and it’s a lot of work. For every hour of audio I record, there are about 4 hours of editing and post-production work that need to get done. Right now, an average of one episode per month is all I can handle.
- Do you feel a responsibility to champion evidence-based practice (EBP)? Yes, with a slight caveat. There are a number of issues in speech pathology where evidence (for or against) is either lacking or misleading. This leads to “all or nothing” thinking. As a result, many in our profession often resort to “throwing the baby out with the bathwater”. As I said in a recent blog post, be skeptical while keeping an open mind. Science is always evolving. The best answers we have today may be mediocre tomorrow. Speech pathology is a profession still in its infancy.
- Why aren’t you on Twitter anymore? I’m saddened at what social media has done to society, but I also see its benefits. As such, I’ve decided to stay with the behemoth “facebook” and ditch Twitter to keep my browsing to a minimum. I realize I’m missing out on some kernels by doing so, but the cost/benefit doesn’t justify keeping both accounts.
- Why don’t you post on facebook more often? See #3. But also shyness I suppose 🙂
- I really like the podcast. How can I support what you’re doing? I’m glad you asked! There are 3 ways you can help me out: 1. Leave a review in the iTunes Store 2. Support my show via Patreon. (The beautiful thing is, you can pledge per episode rather than monthly. And you can change your support at any time if you sour on the show!) 3. Do you need CEU’s? Check out Medbridge. I have an affiliate relationship with them. Any purchase you make using the promo code STEPEN will help me defray the costs of the show (as will a Patreon membership). 3. Spread the word! Share the show with a colleague/friend.
Conversations in Speech Pathology is a podcast meant to provide ongoing dialogue about topics important to the practice of speech-language pathology/therapy. The show, its host, and guests do not provide medical or therapeutic advice regarding individual clients. Parents and other professionals are urged to seek the advice of a licensed professional for specific concerns regarding communication disorders/delays.