Rose Griffin the semi-rare breed of SLP who is dually certified as a BCBA (Board Certified Behavioral Analyst). In this episode we discuss how she became interested in the field of speech pathology, her discovery of ABA and strategies she uses for her students with ASD.
1. Conversations in Speech Pathology (CSP) is a podcast about issues related to the clinical practice of speech pathology. My mission is for the show to be: Interesting, Thought Provoking, & Fun!
2. My interests are primarily Autism, AAC, and Speech Sound Disorders (SSD). I will continue to cover other areas as well from time to time.
3. Please don't assume that because I cover a particular topic or individual that I automatically endorse everything that is said on the show. I want to hear from a variety of voices and I may or may not agree with everything a particular guest might say.
Working FAQ (Updated Summer 2021)
1. Why don’t you put more episodes out on a regular basis? My podcast is a part-time passion of mine and it's a lot of work. For every hour of audio I record, there are about 4 hours of editing and other post-production work that need to get done. There are also a lot of other speech podcasts these days- I'm really impressed!
2. Do you feel a responsibility to champion evidence-based practice (EBP)? Yes, with a slight caveat. There are a number of issues in speech pathology where evidence for or against a particular intervention is lacking. Moreover, I'm finding more and more these days a serious lack of nuance and openness in certain corners of our profession. I have always believed that it is better to justify why you are doing a particular intervention than to do something just because it was cited in a study or because someone else is doing it.
3. I really like the podcast. How can I support what you’re doing? I’m glad you asked! There are 3 ways you can help me out:
1. Leave a review in Apple Podcasts or wherever else you listen to this show.
2. Spread the word! Share the show with a colleague/friend.
3. Perhaps you might benefit from my new digital products?
Conversations in Speech Pathology is a podcast meant to provide an ongoing dialogue about topics important to the practice of speech-language pathology/therapy. The show, its host, and guests do not provide medical or therapeutic advice regarding individual clients. Parents and other professionals are urged to seek the advice of a licensed professional for specific concerns regarding communication disorders/delays.
About the host...
I am now in my 22nd year as a speech-language pathologist. I began my career working with adults (acute/subacute, skilled nursing facility, trach/vent hospitals). Around 2000, I transitioned towards pediatrics and never looked back. I currently work in a school setting full-time (serving children with moderate-severe disabilities) while continuing a private practice part-time.
That’s the short version at least…
That's me with the family (background) at Chicago Botanic Garden (The Lightscape show).
Me and my trusty microphone!
Do you want to be alerted when an episode or blog post gets published? Sign up here.