Here I am post-Thanksgiving attempting to start from scratch. I've grown tired of Wordpress- too...
Information About the Show
Conversations in Speech Pathology (CSP) is a podcast about issues related to the clinical practice of speech pathology. My mission is for the show to be thought-provoking & fun!
My interests are primarily Autism, AAC, and Speech Sound Disorders (SSD). I will continue to cover other areas as well from time to time.
Please don't assume that because I cover a particular topic or individual I automatically endorse everything that is said on the show. I want to hear from various voices, and I may or may not agree with everything a particular guest has to say.
1. Why don’t you put more episodes out on a regular basis? My podcast is a part-time passion and it's a lot of work. For every hour of recorded audio, about 4 hours of editing and other post-production work are required.
2. Do you feel a responsibility to champion evidence-based practice (EBP)? Yes, with a caveat. There are a number of issues in speech pathology where evidence for or against a particular intervention is lacking. Moreover, I'm finding more and more these days a serious lack of nuance and openness in certain corners of our profession. It is better to justify why you are doing a particular intervention (backed by a theoretical foundation) than to do something just because it was cited in a single study or because that is what the majority of people are doing.
3. I really like the podcast. How can I support what you’re doing? I’m glad you asked! There are 2 ways you can show your love:
1. Leave a review in Apple Podcasts or wherever else you listen to this show.
2. Spread the word! Share the show with a colleague/friend.
Conversations in Speech Pathology is a podcast meant to provide an ongoing dialogue about topics important to the practice of speech-language pathology. The show, its host, and guests do not provide medical or therapeutic advice regarding individual clients. Parents and other professionals are urged to seek the advice of a licensed professional for specific concerns regarding communication disorders/delays.
About the host...
I am now in my 24th year as a speech-language pathologist. I began my career working with adults (acute/subacute, skilled nursing facilities, trach/vent hospitals). Around 2000, I transitioned towards pediatrics and never looked back. I currently work in a school setting full-time (serving children with moderate-severe disabilities) while continuing a private practice part-time.
That’s the short version at least…
That's me with the family (background) at Chicago Botanic Garden (The Lightscape show).
Me and my trusty microphone!
Do you want to be alerted when an episode or blog post gets published? Sign up here.